Skip to main content

Sign Language or Captioning? As Both As Well?

As being a Deaf person for a long-time, I would always get a question before I am going to take part in an event, the question is "Do you prefer a sign language interpreter or captioning/ typing?" My answer for sure is to request both as well. But, someone says that can not provide both as well and only wants to pick one up. 

What do I prefer when I should pick only one between two options? Why do people think that all Deaf people only have one choice, by just providing a sign language interpreter without a person who works for captioning? 

Deaf people have various backgrounds and ways of communication. Nobody just speaks sign language. There are anybody fluents in reading-lips and also both ways at the same time. So, that's various. Nobody could judge that Deaf people should only pick one of another option should Deaf people have. Deaf skills are different and that's should be honored, make sure Deaf people can feel comfortable with access to what they need and have the freedom to pick whatever they want to. 

I am a native sign language, but I do not feel totally understand sign language well because sign language is my second language and Indonesian is my first language. So, I always need captioning to make sure I can understand what they are talking through captioning. I also need a sign language interpreter but when I talk in sign language, an interpreter will translate what am I talking in sign language. And when you're talking, a captioner will work for captioning. However, it's a formal event, so when is just informal and hanging out, I would only need a sign language interpreter without captioning. That's all depends on the situation. 

So, I keep asking for both accesses when someone wants to invite me. That's my request, absolutely because it makes I feel easier to understand and be better than I just have a sign language interpreter or captioning. My clear request is to need both accesses, a sign language interpreter, and captioning. But if you only have a limited sign language interpreter available, that's understandable and you can provide captioning instead so that I will talk by typing on the chatroom or something else. That's about I and you do understand and make adjusting the accessibility well as my condition or Deaf people want to do. That's very important. 

I hope people will understand what I want to do and will be prepared for what I have requested.

Thank you, everyone!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apakah Anda Sungguh Berpikir Bahwa Orang Tuli Tidak Bisa Belajar Bahasa Inggris? (Terjemahan Bahasa Indonesia)

Sumber:https://www.fitriananda.com/2020/08/ayo-belajar-bahasa-inggris-seru-loh_19.html  Sebagai orang Indonesia yang terlahir sebagai orang Tuli tidak akan pernah mudah. Ada banyak stereotipe tentang orang Tuli, seperti bodoh, bahasa isyarat adalah bahasa Tarzan, tidak ada masa depan, bisu, tidak sempurna, berdosa, dll. Dan juga, banyak orang dengar berpikir bahwa bahasa isyarat tidak dapat membantu orang Tuli untuk belajar untuk menulis dan berbicara. Sebaliknya, membaca bibir yang diyakini banyak orang dengar dapat membantu orang Tuli untuk menyesuaikan kehidupan masyarakat dengar secara standar. Seperti halnya Alexander Graham Bell adalah pendiri telepon, saya tidak yakin karena sejauh ini saya tahu bahwa dia mencuri telepon yang diklaimnya. Dia membenci bahasa isyarat karena menurutnya bahasa isyarat tidak dapat membantu orang Tuli untuk menulis bahasa Inggris dengan baik. Saya akan menjelaskan sejarah singkat Tuli tentang apa yang terjadi warisannya yang mengerikan untuk gener...

The Ninth Letter: A Deaf Education in Indonesia

On May 2, 2020, we were celebrated Education Day in Indonesia. What is the background? Yeah, Ki Hadjar Dewantoro who an Indonesian hero in the education field. He was born in Yogyakarta on May 2, 1889. He also died in Yogyakarta on April 26, 1959. He was the originator of Indonesian education through Taman Siswa (Students Park) in Yogyakarta. He has also created three things which are an important motto, part is: 1. Ing Ngarsa Sung Tulada 2. Ing Madya Mangun Karsa 3. Tut Wuri Handayani If you need more information about three motto, you can click:  1.  https://bobo.grid.id/read/081713504/3-semboyan-dunia-pendidikan-dari-ki-hajar-dewantara-apa-maknanya-ya?page=all  (Indonesian language) 2.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ki_Hajar_Dewantara  (English language)  I always reading and give respect to him. He was an Indonesian hero for everyone. I was proud of him. He had fought for Indonesian education until died. So, I must thank to ...

Gloss, A Forgotten Learning Foreign Language and Translate

I was testing a student who stood up to share her short story in signs in our class. She was so good at signing despite sign language being the third language that she is learning and isn't a native speaker. She was confused about gloss or glosa in Indonesian. That's the thing that is most often forgotten when learning and translating a foreign language. Foreign language teachers almost never teach about gloss to students and yeah, I am sure some do and some do not.  The Gloss (Gr) means when a word is attached to a sign in simple terms. It refers to the way that ASL (American Sign Language) names signs in order to give a sense of the meanings behind them. A word or word that represents that sign does not signify its meaning in any way (source: What Are Glosses in Sign Language/  https://www.ilovelanguages.com/what-are-glosses-in-sign-language ). A gloss happens because it causes when a student who learns a second language but their mind that used to be a native language as bo...