Skip to main content

The Ninth Letter: A Deaf Education in Indonesia

On May 2, 2020, we were celebrated Education Day in Indonesia. What is the background? Yeah, Ki Hadjar Dewantoro who an Indonesian hero in the education field. He was born in Yogyakarta on May 2, 1889. He also died in Yogyakarta on April 26, 1959. He was the originator of Indonesian education through Taman Siswa (Students Park) in Yogyakarta. He has also created three things which are an important motto, part is:

1. Ing Ngarsa Sung Tulada

2. Ing Madya Mangun Karsa

3. Tut Wuri Handayani


If you need more information about three motto, you can click: 


I always reading and give respect to him. He was an Indonesian hero for everyone. I was proud of him. He had fought for Indonesian education until died. So, I must thank to him and maybe his family. Now, what I should do to continue his struggle? Yeah, I must fight to change people and the government's mind about Deaf education in Indonesia. 

I have my experience as a Deaf student in Indonesia. I will be sharing my experience through this my caption. I hope you will like my caption. 

For the first time, I was studied in Wonosobo. That's a school named SLB (Sekolah Luar Biasa/ Special Needs School) Don Bosco Wonosobo. This is a Catholic school for Deaf male students. We also have a Deaf female school named SLB Dena Upakara. Only around five minutes there. 

I had learned oralism or oral method for speech therapy without sign language training. We banned to use sign language. So, we were forced to must speak the oral method with hearing people. It was feeling terrible and torture. It representing my feeling and also my Deaf friends. 

Besides, we never learned English and Javanese because of its only speaking Indonesian in the classroom. It's very different from another school including regular school or hearing school. They have English and Javanese, while we are not there. That's kind of very sad and we feel so far behind. I was graduated in 2012, then moved to a hearing school for the first time in my life.

I was moved to Sukoharjo for continued high school or hearing school. It named Al Firdaus school. I was one of the Deaf students in all hearing people. I feel inferior because there were no Deaf people there and here. It makes me feel bad and chaotic. I ask myself lots of questions throughout school hours.

But, I have many hearing friends who always helped me and invite me to playing basketball or another sport in the field. I really like the field with my hearing friends. We played futsal or basketball until everyone was tired then back to class. I also have my favorite teacher in school. She was a good teacher and always care me. She helped me a lot. I feel at home and fine.

Then, I have many problems in school. There is no sign interpreter and no other Deaf access. I was only assisted by GPK (Guru Pendamping Khusus/ Special Teacher) and classmates until graduated in 2018. It's only a bit helped me. It makes me must be learned harder for getting a good score. And, I have difficulty in three languages (English, Javanese, and Arabic). I really didn't know whatever. 

And, I'm studying at college right now. I entered to college on September 2018. My college in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. So, I have shared my experience through this article. It's really fun to be shared. I hope everyone will get benefit lessons after reading this article.  

I'm sorry if my English is wrong. I still learning English and will fix my English again. 

Thanks, everyone! 

Comments

Bonbon Life said…
i admire your story:)

Popular posts from this blog

Apakah Anda Sungguh Berpikir Bahwa Orang Tuli Tidak Bisa Belajar Bahasa Inggris? (Terjemahan Bahasa Indonesia)

Sumber:https://www.fitriananda.com/2020/08/ayo-belajar-bahasa-inggris-seru-loh_19.html  Sebagai orang Indonesia yang terlahir sebagai orang Tuli tidak akan pernah mudah. Ada banyak stereotipe tentang orang Tuli, seperti bodoh, bahasa isyarat adalah bahasa Tarzan, tidak ada masa depan, bisu, tidak sempurna, berdosa, dll. Dan juga, banyak orang dengar berpikir bahwa bahasa isyarat tidak dapat membantu orang Tuli untuk belajar untuk menulis dan berbicara. Sebaliknya, membaca bibir yang diyakini banyak orang dengar dapat membantu orang Tuli untuk menyesuaikan kehidupan masyarakat dengar secara standar. Seperti halnya Alexander Graham Bell adalah pendiri telepon, saya tidak yakin karena sejauh ini saya tahu bahwa dia mencuri telepon yang diklaimnya. Dia membenci bahasa isyarat karena menurutnya bahasa isyarat tidak dapat membantu orang Tuli untuk menulis bahasa Inggris dengan baik. Saya akan menjelaskan sejarah singkat Tuli tentang apa yang terjadi warisannya yang mengerikan untuk gener...

Gloss, A Forgotten Learning Foreign Language and Translate

I was testing a student who stood up to share her short story in signs in our class. She was so good at signing despite sign language being the third language that she is learning and isn't a native speaker. She was confused about gloss or glosa in Indonesian. That's the thing that is most often forgotten when learning and translating a foreign language. Foreign language teachers almost never teach about gloss to students and yeah, I am sure some do and some do not.  The Gloss (Gr) means when a word is attached to a sign in simple terms. It refers to the way that ASL (American Sign Language) names signs in order to give a sense of the meanings behind them. A word or word that represents that sign does not signify its meaning in any way (source: What Are Glosses in Sign Language/  https://www.ilovelanguages.com/what-are-glosses-in-sign-language ). A gloss happens because it causes when a student who learns a second language but their mind that used to be a native language as bo...